Sunday, August 14, 2011

Remora Cyclist





On my bike ride to work today, I had a further realization about my cycling pattern. Building upon my comparison of traffic to a living organism, I think I am a Remora Cyclist. What is a remora you may ask? It is known more commonly as a suckerfish. According to Wikipedia, remoras are most often found attached to whales, sharks, turtles or manta rays. Given that they are usually 1-3 feet long, they basically attach to anything way bigger than them. Wikipedia also states that remoras attach for the purpose of transport, and also benefit from the protection of their large, intimidating hosts. This is me in traffic. I sidle up to giant SUVs at intersections that because of their enormous presence can just move through oncoming traffic and everyone else stops to let them pass. I sort of slink along as well, completely protected by my knight of shining armor... genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment