Thursday, August 11, 2011

New to Me

Believe it or not, I've never blogged before. Despite my hip appearance (ahem, ahem), I'm pretty delayed in terms of keeping up with technology. I've shunned MySpace, discounted Twitter, refuse to get a Smartphone, and pretty much only share birthday wishes on Facebook. Part of this may reflect my private nature, but given that I'm going to be far from friends and family for the next two years, it is now time for me to embrace the Blog. I'm a strong believer that old dogs can learn new tricks, and also that if you keep saying you'll do something (repeatedly to everyone you know), you will. So after telling every single person I hugged goodbye that I would definitely keep them updated with a blog, and then having those people email me and pointedly ask, "So....... where's the blog?" I have trekked to the nearest cafe tonight, logged onto Blogspot and have set up my inaugural blog.

I've tried to start blogs before. But the most difficult thing about setting up a blog is that you have to come up with a name before you can post anything... Email me separately if you want a hilarious list of the runners-up for this blog's name.

"Soup's on!" is what my grandma calls out to everyone within earshot when she has finished cooking and is ready to eat. It's sort of like saying, "Come and get it!" Working in food security and nutrition, and given my love of all things edible, I thought this was a fitting title. Plus my life really is going to be like a big ol' bowl of soup for the next two years -moving to three new countries, speaking three different languages, working on two very different programs, meeting countless new people. This will be a whole mix of things all stirred together in one pot and as I sift through all the ingredients, I hope to share them all with you.


3 comments:

  1. AMAZING!!!! you make it sound like you've been meaning to do this for months, and... maybe you have. but i spoke to you and moments later, a blog appeared. seems pretty extraordinary to me... and VERY typical of you! can't wait to follow your adventures. you are already very missed :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alissa,
    Your blog is amazing and it is a joy to follow and know what you are up to. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete