Sunday, February 19, 2012

Change in Plans: Crazy for Cambodia


I am coming upon completing my 7th month here in Cambodia, and time has been passing at an alarmingly swift rate. When I began this blog, I mentioned that this position would take me to 3 different countries over a span of two years, but there has been a slight change in this plan...

After arriving and discussing my work plan with the office here, it become clear that 6 months was a very tight timeframe to design/finalize research plans, collect data, transcribe/enter/clean/analyze this data, write up reports and present findings for several studies. Additionally, being here for 6 months would leave me with only 4.5 months in my next location, making it an even tighter schedule there. So, while I was incredibly excited about being in completely different geography for part of this year, it ultimately made the most sense for me to stay put.

This has turned out to be a fantastic decision because though all the data has been collected for the 3 studies I'm working on, I've only begun analysis and write-up. Additionally, I've fallen in love with Cambodia, the city of Phnom Penh, the projects I'm working on, and my co-workers. This is a truly beautiful and wondrous part of the world and I feel quite lucky to have the opportunity to be working here.

2 comments:

  1. amazing news! which country will you still be visiting, then? so happy for you (and for cambodia) that your love affair doesn't need to come to an end just yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come August, I'll be off to Senegal... though there are murmurings that this might change as well. :)

    ReplyDelete